Thursday, July 26, 2007

Not my day

It's official. I ran out of yarn for the Print O' Wave Stole last night. I finally convinced myself to pick it up and finish knitting, maybe it was just my imagination that I was going to run out of yarn. But I was right, with only 10 1/2 repeats left to go, I ran out of yarn. So that has gone back into the WIP box until I get more of the yarn. I am so disappointed! I am so close to finishing it and now I'll have to wait.

I cast on the Anemoi Mittens last night with a tubular cast-on. This is a beautiful cast-on, the edge is perfectly finished, I was in awe. Problem: I was thinking that it looked a little tight. But I figured since I did a gauge check before hand maybe it just looked tight. So on I went, finished the ribbing and started the body pattern. I am amazed at how easy and fast this goes. The pattern looks so intricate that I thought it would be slow going. So now I have the ribbing finished and some of the body and it still is looking tight. I tried it on. Mind you these are a gift for someone whose hands are smaller then mine, but I almost broke all 4 of my needles and got a wool burn on my hand getting this on. I'm not sure if you can tell how tight this is, but I couldn't move my wrist and it was starting to cut off my circulation. So I have ripped this out and am trying to decide what to do. I thought about using larger needles, but I had already used US1 instead of the recommended US0 for the ribbing. What to do, what to do.

3 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Ugh, I had that happen to me (running out of yarn) with only 5 more rows to go on the neck of a tank top. Luckily I was able to have a friend pick up more yarn for me in the same dye lot, as she was going to Key West where I got it, and we live in NH!

Welcome to the webring!

lesley said...

(hello, just bounced over from te hogwarts site)

hmmm. what yarn are you using for the mittens? i bet you could go up a needles size. what you're going for is gauge not suggested needle right? and if it is too small it is too small. easier to go up than to rewrite the pattern no?

Rachel said...

Did you swatch in the round or flat? I've noticed I have a different result when working in the round. I'd definately try going up a needle size too.